This interesting piece of research from the Harvard Business School shows just how powerful gratitude can be in motivating the people around us. It proves how something as simple as thanks can enhance performance and generate better results.
Some really interesting research that was carried out last year challenges a fairly fundamental piece of advice facilitators hand out during programmes i.e. disclosing your goals in a public setting will make them more likely to happen.
The research is summarised nicely on Psyblog.
The research acts as a helpful reminder that objectives need to be accompanied by other thinking and behaviour:
- how do I make my objective achievable?
- why is the objective important to me?
- how will I feel if I achieve it?
- what actions do I need to take?
- who can help me achieve my objective?
- what will get in the way?
- how will I celebrate?!