Some really interesting research that was carried out last year challenges a fairly fundamental piece of advice facilitators hand out during programmes i.e. disclosing your goals in a public setting will make them more likely to happen.
The research is summarised nicely on Psyblog.
The research acts as a helpful reminder that objectives need to be accompanied by other thinking and behaviour:
- how do I make my objective achievable?
- why is the objective important to me?
- how will I feel if I achieve it?
- what actions do I need to take?
- who can help me achieve my objective?
- what will get in the way?
- how will I celebrate?!